Why Earn a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Public Health Preparedness?
Hurricane Katrina; Mount Kilauea volcanic eruption; Deepwater Horizon oil spill. These are naturally and man-made disasters that required the evacuation and rescuing of people from buildings and their homes. They required an understanding of local, national, and international policy.
The rescue and clean-up efforts in the wake of such disasters required an enormous amount of manpower, knowledge, and coordination. A master's degree or graduate certificate in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness will equip graduates with the tools necessary to assess, strategize, and manage natural or man-made disasters.
What Skills Will I Learn While Studying for the Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate?
While studying for a master's degree or graduate certificate in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness, students will be exposed to and prepared for important field-related competencies, including:
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of the various Homeland Security agencies
- Participating in risk analysis and create emergency response plans
- Assessing damage in the wake of disasters
- Investigating, evaluating, and categorizing potential hazards and threats, both domestic and international
- Collaborating with others to present relevent research
- Gaining knowledge of historical and psychological aspects of terrorism
How are Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Courses Taught?
A master's degree or graduate certificate in public health preparedness offers a broad field of study, which prepares students for careers in law enforcement, health care, government, and the private sector. Students will gain real-world experience by assessing past and present disasters. They will understand the many components associated with risk in response to disaster, from assessment to management to communication. Students will learn policy and intelligence; and understand bioterrorism, emergency management, disease control, health law, and threats to national security.
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Public Health Preparedness?
A graduate degree in public health preparedness can be earned in two years while a graduate certificate can be completed in one year, if attending full-time.
How do Online Master's Degrees or Graduate Certificates in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Work?
An online master's degree in public health preparedness is designed with convenience and working professionals in mind. Students can take classes within their own timeframe, including evening and weekends. Courses taught online are structured similarly to those taught in a physical classroom, or they differ in that coursework can be completed at any point within a semester; there is not necessarily a set class meeting time. Discussion-based courses are conducted virtually, or students have “discussions” in an online forum setting.
What if I Have Questions about the Online Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Master's Degree Format and Process?
More and more colleges and universities are offering degrees completely online and without ever having to set foot inside a physical classroom. There are a few things to consider when searching for the right online graduate program:
- Is the school nationally accredited?
- Does the school aid in job placement?
- What type of financial aid or work study does the school offer?
- Does the school provide academic and career counseling?
- What resources are available to students completing their degree online?
- Is there a support system among students, as well as among students and teachers?
What Will I Need to be Successful Studying Online?
Choosing to obtain a degree online requires organization, time management, and discipline. A good recommendation is to create a consistent schedule and routine, at which time students should study, review, and complete coursework.
Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Online Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate Course Examples
Courses taught online in pursuit of an online Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness master's degree include:
- Homeland Security: Social and Ethical Issues
- Intro to Homeland Security
- Environmental Risk Assessment
- Public Health Preparedness for Disaster and Terrorist Emergencies
- Public Health Evaluation of Disasters and Bioterrorism
- Environmental Toxicology
- Risk Management and Communication
- Disaster Communication
- Natural Disasters
- Disaster Psychology
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Crisis, Disaster, and Risk Management
- Root Causes of Terrorism
- Public Health Policy and Administration
Tuition and Costs for an Online Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Public Health Preparedness
Tuition to obtain an online master's degree or graduate certificate in public health preparedness can cost as little as $4,223 and as much as $27,898 annually.
What Kinds of Jobs Can I Do with a Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate?
Those with a master's degree in public health preparedness can go on to pursue careers in the following:
- Public Health Nurse; $59,662
- Communication Specialist; $47,200
- Emergency Management Director; $136,681
- Health Educator; $59,010
- Public Health Advisor; $54,944
- Environmental Health Officer; $80,128
- Safety Coordinator; $53,433
What are the Benefits of Having a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness?
A master's degree or graduate certificate in Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness is perfect for those who already hold an undergraduate degree and who already work in health care, government, or emergency management. Understanding how to protect and prepare people for an emergency or disaster, and understanding how to do so in a simulated environment such as a master's program will prepare students to effectively and seamlessly handle any real-world crisis.
How Can I Get More Information on Homeland Security - Public Health Preparedness?
More information on emergency management and public health preparedness can be found at: