Information about what is happening in the scientific community reaches us a variety of ways. Some may be through a group you follow on social media. Some may be via word of mouth, or CNN, BBC, in a class, on the radio as a public notice, overheard at a restaurant, etc. One tried and true way to get news is through print. Articles can be written by any scientific journalist with little regard to the “form” of the article. But a publication that goes through a peer review process, and is published in some of the following magazines, undergoes a much more scientific process of writing.
Daily Environmental Science News Articles
Although we have multiple choices of information for finding out local and national news, most of us have a specific source we use, whether it is radio, TV, or internet, or some combination. Environmental Science has its own news venues, and you may find one whose style is well suited for you.
For up-to-date information about happenings in the scientific world…
- Environmental News Network covers a variety of world environmental issues
- LiveScience also has updates throughout the day in their Planet Earth section
- National Geographic, long associated with Environmental and Human advocacy, has a Environment section updated daily
- Even NBCNews has an Environment section in their Science news
- ScienceDaily has an Environmental Science News
- Scientific American has an Earth and Environment section
- The New York Times has an Environmental section in their science news
Environmental Science Journals
If you are going to become an Environmental Scientist, then you need to be familiar with some major publications. Scientific journals that publish peer reviewed research present it in specific formats that should be familiar to you. The sooner you become comfortable reading papers this way, the easier it will be to both “think scientifically”, and to write your own papers. Many journals that are available online are only free to read if you are associated with a college or university that pays to access them. However, you can usually find the abstract, and determine if you need to pursue the article further.
- The American Meteorological Society publishes a number of journals, listed here, dealing with many specialty fields in Environmental Science.
- Energy & Environmental Science links environmental sciences to sciences concerned with energy and its storage.
- Environmental Health Perspectives is a leading magazine looking at the interactions between human health and the environment and is published through a cooperate effort by a number of leading human health agencies.
- Environmental Science and Policy looks to promote political solutions to environmental problems through awareness and communication.
- Environmental Science and Technology is a publication of The American Chemical Society which focuses on the latest worldwide environmental science innovations and issues.
- Journal of Environmental Engineering has a broad scope covering solutions and policies for environmental resources and sanitation and is published by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Journal of Environmental Health is published by the National Environmental Health Association and covers current issues concerning health safety such as air and water quality, among other issues.
- Journal of Environmental Sciences is designed to both promote awareness of discoveries, and strengthen professional relationships among academics.
- Journal of Geophysical Research breaks down many subjects of Earth Science into separate journals studying earth and solar system components; Atmospheres, the Biogeosciences, Earth Surface, Oceans, Planets, Solid Earth, and Space Physics. Environmental Scientists work in all of these fields.
- Water, Air, and Soil Pollution cover many aspects of environmental pollution and remediation throughout the world.
How ‘Silent Spring' Ignited the Environmental Movement - a little knowledge of environmental science history can go a long way for your career.
Population and Environment - a detailed look at the interaction between humans and their environment, good practice for reading a scientifically formatted article.
Latest posts by Jennifer Aicher (see all)
- Gaining International Experience in Environmental Science - September 11, 2014
- Recommended Environmental Science Articles & Journals - September 11, 2014
- Is Environmental Science Really a Good Major? - August 27, 2014