Why Get a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Renewable Energy?
Sustainability is a buzzword not going out of fashion anytime soon. As population increases and current energy sources deplete as a result, there is a pressing need to discover, produce, and market new, renewable forms of energy. A master's degree or graduate certificate in renewable energy offers a well-rounded education in the technical, political, environmental, economic, and scientific aspects of the sustainability and renewable energy industries, producing innovative, creative-thinking gamechangers in an ever-increasing job market.
What Skills Will I Learn While Studying for the Renewable Energy Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate?
While studying for a master's degree or graduate certificate in renewable energy, students will be exposed to and prepared for important field-related competencies, including:
- Assessing and understanding energy issues, their consequences, and their impact on society, government, and the environment.
- Crafting clear arguments and policy recommendations in person and in writing.
- Implementing creative thinking to solve complex problems.
- Understanding sustainability as a more effective way to operate businesses.
- Recognizing challenges in regulation and policy and create alternative solutions that will have a global impact.
How are Renewable Energy Courses Taught?
There are several options when pursuing a master's degree or graduate certificate in in renewable energy and sustainability, including a concentration in energy and sustainability systems, solar energy, and sustainability management and policy. Many programs offer a broad overview of courses pertaining to renewable energy and sustainability, and then students can pursue a concentration through electives, projects, and research.
How Long Does It Take to Earn a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Renewable Energy?
A master's degree or graduate certificate in renewable energy varies in the length of time both will take to complete. Programs can take less than two years to complete and as long as four years to complete, with credit hours ranging from twelve to fifty, depending on the school.
How do Online Master's Degrees or Graduate Certificates in Renewable Energy Work?
Renewable energy online degree and certificate programs allow students to receive a quality education at their own pace without sacrificing quality. Courses are taught by experts in their field in lecture format, and students either attend classes virtually and in real time or have a set time within which to complete the course on their own schedule.
What if I Have Questions about the Online Renewable Energy Master's Degree Format and Process?
Here are a list of things to consider when exploring an online renewable energy program of interest:
- Is the school accredited?
- Are GMAT or GRE scores an admission requirement?
- What type of interaction do students have with each other and with the teacher?
- What are the faculty's credentials, experience, and area of expertise?
- Does the school offer grants, loans, work study, and/or financial aid?
- Does the school assist with job placement?
- What type of academic and career counseling is available?
What Will I Need to be Successful Studying Online?
Obtaining an online degree in any capacity requires a high level of time management and self-discipline. Many online programs do not operate on a set classroom schedule and it is solely up to the individual student to conduct research and complete course work and projects. Students must commit themselves to staying organized and maintaining a routine study schedule.
Renewable Energy Online Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate Course Examples
Courses taught online at the graduate level toward a degree or certificate in renewable energy include:
- Foundations in Sustainability Systems
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Energy, Markets, Policy, and Regulation
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Systems
- Biomass Energy Systems
- Distributed Energy Planning and Management
- Development of a Solar-powered Vehicle
- Solar Conversion Devices
- Solar Project Development and Finance
- Solar Resource Assessment and Economics
- Commercial Solar Electric Systems
- Solar Energy Thermal Utilities and Industry
- Utility Solar Electric and Concentration
- Applied Energy Policy
- Sustainability-driven Innovation
- Renewable Energy and Nonmarket Enterprise
- Technologies for Sustainability Systems
- Global Environmental Chemistry
- Natural Resource Managment
Tuition and Costs for an Online Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Renewable Energy
Tuition to obtain an online master's degree or graduate certificate in renewable energy ranges from $13,440 to $29,988 per year. Some schools require one-time application and transcript fees, in addition to information technology fees.
What Kinds of Jobs Can I Do with a Renewable Energy Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate?
Those with a master's degree in renewable energy have many job options, including:
- Environmental engineer, $86,800
- Automotive/Clean Car engineer, $72,344
- Mechanical engineer, $85,880
- Electrical engineer, $97,970
- Wind turbine technician, $53,880
- Environmental scientist, $50,229
- Solar energy system installer, $40,423
- Sustainability analyst, $74,252
- Green building architect $72,044
- Community planner, $51,810
What are the Benefits of Having a Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate in Renewable Energy?
A master's degree or graduate certificate in renewable energy is excellent for those looking for career advancement or who already work in a similar field but want to make the switch to sustainability. The green economy is growing and in need of leaders in the field. A master's degree or graduate certificate helps students become experts in the fields of renewable energy and sustainability while at the same time, preparing them for careers that can be both rewarding and have an incredible global impact.
How Can I Get More Information on Renewable Energy?
More information on both a master's degree, as well as a graduate certificate, in renewable energy can be found at: